Most cannabis sold today is a hybrid of two major strains, indica and sativa. If you’re not sure where to begin, ask for a strain that’s indica-dominant. A survey of 95 medical cannabis users in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine found a significant majority preferred indica to sativa for managing pain. Indica strains’ therapeutic effects include relaxing the mind and muscles, reducing inflammation, aiding sleep and reducing anxiety. Some people prefer to use them at night because of their sedating effect.
Symptoms of Fibromyalgia
Fibromyalgia sufferers’ symptoms include nerve pain, muscle spasms, joint pain, headaches, and chronic pain throughout the body. This condition can affect people of any age. Many fibro patients also experience fatigue and difficulties with memory and mood.
Mentally, many people living with fibromyalgia experience symptoms such as depression and anxiety, which CBD is well known to ease. Problems with thinking and sleeping are also common. Insomnia and the inability to sleep, can lead to chronic fatigue and a lower ability to concentrate and focus on daily tasks.
Fibromyalgia is a neurological disorder that impacts the brain’s communication with pain receptors throughout the central nervous system. Often, doctors cannot pinpoint any identifiable source event that causes fibromyalgia, and it can emerge at any point during a person’s life. Depending on the severity, the discomfort can be chronic.
Medical cannabis, such as cannabis edibles, CBD oil, or smokable flower, can alleviate these persistent symptoms fibro sufferers experience. Treatment of the chronic pain with various cannabis strains can prevent people from needing harsher manufactured prescription drugs.
There are a few medical conditions that, even though are prevalent amongst the masses, somehow remain a medical mystery. Over 5 million Americans alone have fibromyalgia.
Characterized by widespread musculoskeletal pain that is further aggravated by the lifestyle you lead. It amplifies any painful sensations that you might be experiencing by changing the way your brain processes pain signals.
Medical Cannabis, CBD vs. THC
Patients often use cannabis to help with insomnia, stress, depression, body pain, and other symptoms of fibromyalgia. Cannabis compounds useful for addressing the pain of fibromyalgia are THC and CBD. Although chemically, these two are very similar, the effects are not the same.
THC, or Tetrahydrocannabinol, is what people typically think of as medical marijuana. Medical marijuana containing THC is legal in many Us states; however, not everybody enjoys the sensation of getting high or of smoking marijuana. High-THC levels can create sensations of an intense body high or mind high, while low THC levels will often lead to more gentle and calming psychoactive effects.
CBD, or cannabidiol, derives from the hemp plant which needs to contain less than or equal to 0.3 percent of THC.
CBD Strains for Fibromyalgia
These strains are good for medical marijuana beginners or those new to medical cannabis. They are also helpful to people who don’t want the psychoactive, euphoric, or “high” effects of THC.
- One to One – One to One is a high CBD, 50/50 sativa/indica hybrid with a 1:1 THC to CBD ratio. One to One has about 14% of both THC and CBD. Some patients report mild euphoria with this strain and some report none at all. There are no negative side effects reported. It has a citrus flavor and smell. One to One can treat pain, anxiety, stress, insomnia, and muscle spasms. It promotes relaxation.
- CBD Sweet and Sour Widow – CBD Sweet and Sour Widow is an indica dominant hybrid with a 1:1 THC to CBD ratio with about 5% of each cannabinoid. CBD Sweet and Sour Widow has little to no negative side effects. Some report no psychoactive effects and others report mild euphoria. CBD Sweet and Sour Widow can treat anxiety, depression, pain, stress, and it can prevent memory loss.
- Canna-Tsu – Canna-Tsu is a 50/50 sativa/indica hybrid strain. Canna-Tsu is considered the best of all high CBD strains, due to the lack of negative side effects and popularity among users. Canna-Tsu is related to Cannatonic and Sour Tsunami. It has about a 1:1 THC to CBD ratio, with about 7.5% of each cannabinoid. Canna-Tsu has sweet, earthy flavors and aromas. It can treat insomnia, fibromyalgia, inflammation, pain, relaxation, anxiety, seizures, migraines, and arthritis.
- CBD Blue Shark – CBD Blue Shark is also just known as Blue Shark. It is an indica dominant hybrid with about a 1:1 THC to CBD ratio. CBD Blue Shark has about 6.5% of each cannabinoid. It is related to Skunk #1 and Shark Shock. CBD Blue Shark smells like fruit with hints of tea and garlic. CBD Blue Shark can treat insomnia, inflammation, pain, stress, depression, fibromyalgia, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, muscle spasms, arthritis, and multiple sclerosis.
Other Equal or Higher CBD Strains: Lemon AID, CBD Kush, Painkiller XO, Medical Mass, Dance World, CBD Skunk Haze, CBD Critical Cure, Sour Tsunami
Sativa and Sativa Dominant Hybrid Strains for fibromyalgia
- Lemonberry – Lemonberry is a sativa dominant hybrid strain with a 22:1 THC to CBD ratio, containing about 22% THC and less than 1% CBD. Lemonberry is related to Dabney Blue and Lemon Thai. It has a citrus tastes and smells like blueberries. Lemonberry is an energizing strain that promotes clarity and socialization. Lemonberry can treat headaches, migraines, pain, stress, depression, anxiety, and inflammation.
- Silver Pearl – Silver Pearl is a sativa dominant hybrid with 22% THC and less than 1% CBD. It is energizing and considered an excellent medical strain. Silver Pearl relieves pain and lets you feel functional and productive. This strain is able to treat pain, inflammation, migraines, headaches, fibromyalgia, shingles, arthritis, and inflammation.
- Super Bomb – Super Bomb is also known as Spacequeen F3. It is a sativa dominant hybrid with 20% THC and less than 1% CBD. Super Bomb is related to Spacequeen F1 and Spacequeen F2. This is an excellent daytime medication and most say it is the best of the Spacequeen strains. Super Bomb can treat fatigue, Crohn’s Disease, irritable bowel syndrome, rheumatoid arthritis, pain, inflammation, depression, migraines, headaches, nausea, and fibromyalgia.
- Sour Dream – Sour Dream is a sativa dominant hybrid strain with 17% THC and less than 1% THC. It is related to Sour Diesel and Blue Dream. This strain has positive, energizing effects that promote socialization, motivation, and creativity. Sour Dream can treat Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, stress, fatigue, eye pressure, pain, inflammation, arthritis, and fibromyalgia.
- Perma Frost – Perma Frost is a sativa dominant hybrid that is related to White Widow and Trainwreck. It has 19% THC and less than 1% CBD. Perma Frost promotes euphoric and energizing feelings and is best for the daytime. It has earthy, floral, and fruity tastes and smells. Perma Frost can treat anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, gastrointestinal disorders, headaches, insomnia, lack of appetite, nausea, pain, spasticity, muscle spasms, and stress.
Other Sativa and Sativa Dominant Hybrid Strains: White Fire OG, Maui Waui, Cheesewreck, Trainwreck, Pineapple Express, Chiesel, Deadhead OG, Panama Red, Purple Diesel, Purple SAGE, Skunky Diesel, Jack Herer, Willie Nelson, Black Haze, SAGE, Green Haze, Chemdawg, Silver Haze, Double Tangie Banana
50/50 Sativa/Indica Hybrid Strains for fibromyalgia
- Jean Guy – Jean Guy is a 50/50 sativa/indica hybrid with 24% THC. It is a phenotype of White Widow. Jean Guy is very strong and an excellent pain reliever. This strain is noted and praised for treating fibromyalgia. It can treat anorexia, lack of appetite, nausea, cancer and HIV/AIDS side effects, fatigue, depression, pain, inflammation, and arthritis.
- Pineapple Kush – Pineapple Kush is a 50/50 sativa/indica hybrid with two phenotypes. The first has 25% THC and less than 1% CBD. Another has 5% CBD and 3% THC. This strain is related to Pineapple and Master Kush. It promotes happiness and mild euphoria. Pineapple Kush is able to treat pain, depression, stress, inflammation, and promote overall relaxation.
- Green Ribbon – Green Ribbon is a 50/50 sativa/indica hybrid strain with 25% THC and less than 1% CBD. Green Ribbon is related to Green Crack and possibly Trainwreck. Although this is a 50/50 hybrid, it has more energizing effects. Green Ribbon produces energizing, euphoric, and happy feelings. Green Ribbon also promotes creativity and activity. This strain can treat hypertension, stress, depression, fatigue, pain, inflammation, arthritis, and fibromyalgia.
- Blue Diamond – Blue Diamond is a 50/50 sativa/indica hybrid with 18% THC and 1% CBD. It smells harsh and earthy and provides happy, relaxed, euphoric feelings. Blue Diamond can treat fibromyalgia, stress, eye pressure, fatigue, pain, and muscle spasms.
Other 50/50 Sativa/Indica Hybrid Strains: Blue Magoo, Skunk #1, UK Cheese, Dogwalker OG, Green Hornet, Orange Bud, Donna OG, Harry Potter, Alien OG, Cookies and Cream, Pearl Scout Cookies, Blueberry Headband, East Coast Sour Diesel, Sweet Kush, Strawberry Diesel Kush, Strawberry Diesel
Indica and Indica Dominant Hybrid Strains for fibromyalgia
- Blueberry Pie – Blueberry Pie is an indica dominant hybrid strain with 19% THC and less than 1% CBD. It is related to Girl Scout Cookies and Blue Dream. Blueberry Pie has a fruity, earthy flavor and smells like blueberries. It produces mild sedative feelings that are very relaxing but still leave you aware. Blueberry Pie can treat insomnia, pain, inflammation, stress, depression, nausea, lack of appetite, and cachexia – wasting syndrome.
- Herijuana – Herijuana is an indica dominant hybrid with 25% THC and less than 1% CBD. It is related to Petrolia Headstash and Killer New Haven. Herijuana is considered excellent for pain relief and a top medical strain. This strain is very sedative and offers a heavy body high. It is very potent and you won’t need to use much of it. Herijuana can treat pain, inflammation, joint pain, arthritis, fibromyalgia, migraines, and headaches.
- Godberry – Godberry is an indica dominant hybrid with 21% THC and less than 1% CBD. It is related to God and Blueberry. Godberry has a very sweet and fruity taste. It is relaxing and sedative and associated with “couch lock” or not wanting to leave the couch. Godberry is able to treat anxiety, stress, pain, depression, inflammation, insomnia, spasticity, muscle spasms, and multiple sclerosis.
- Citrus Kush – Citrus Kush is an indica dominant hybrid with 17% THC. It is not as energizing as the sativa and sativa dominant hybrids, however, it is still uplifting for an indica strain. Citrus Kush is a happy strain that promotes focus and relaxation. It tastes like sweet and sour citrus. Citrus Kush can treat fibromyalgia, pain, fatigue, lack of appetite, Attention Deficit Disorder, and stress.
- Grape Ape – Grape Ape is an indica strain with 20% THC and 1% CBD. It tastes like grape bubble gum or Kool Aid. Grape Ape is very sedative and relaxing and stimulates appetite. Grape Ape can treat pain, insomnia, lack of appetite, stress, fibromyalgia, arthritis, anxiety, depression, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, and cancer treatment side effects.
Other Indica and Indica Dominant Hybrid Strains: Blue Cookies, Bubba Kush, Goo, Cherry Pie, El Jefe, Shiskaberry, ZkittleZ, Black Label Kush, Jasmine, Skunk 47, Black Cherry OG, Kosher Kush, Pink Kush, Platinum Kush, Grape God, Critical Mass, Pure Kush, Black Widow, Blueberry Kush, Vanilla Kush, Hash Plant, Deep Purple, Purple Kush, Royal Kush, Girl Scout Cookies, Tangerine Kush
General Considerations for Choosing a Medical Marijuana Strain:
- Check the medical applications of cannabinoids and terpenes in the cannabis plant in relation to your individual symptoms/condition. Choose a strain that has those cannabinoids and terpenes (or as close as you can get) to treat your individualized symptoms and meet your needs.
- Most strain types can deliver the cannabinoids and terpenes that you need to treat your condition. Consider when you will be using the medicine, and what is available in your dispensary. Sativa strains are usually more energizing and better for the day time. Indica strains are sedating and better for sleep or nighttime use. Sativa dominant hybrids are uplifting with a relaxed tone. Indica dominant hybrids are relaxing but not too sedative.
- Pay attention to THC and CBD ratios. THC and CBD work better together than in isolation. Both are important cannabinoids and most patients need both to effectively treat their conditions. Equal or higher CBD to THC ratios will reduce or eliminate the psychoactive or “high” effects of THC, but retain the medical applications and benefits of THC.
- Remember that percentages of cannabinoids and terpenes present are approximate and could vary slightly between growers due to factors including sunlight, nutrients, etc.
- Restrictive marijuana laws prevent testing of individual strains for certain conditions. You will need to find what works best for you by using recommendations, being informed about strain types and how you want to use the medicine, and trial and error.
- Medical marijuana treatment is largely patient-led. Patient logs are an excellent way to keep track of the strains that you have tried and how they affected your symptoms. Patient logs are also an excellent tool to take to the doctor to show your treatment and progress
You can ask the budtender to get you the best medical marijuana strains for your condition. A qualified budtender likely has experience helping other patients with fibromyalgia and may have data on strains that have worked for others. Apart from Indica and Sativa genetics and their effects, also look for cannabinoids, terpenes, and THC-CBD ratio while buying a new strain. Try not to be reluctant to ask questions and seek guidance from your doctor or experienced users.
As we know, the laws surrounding cannabis have been changing, and more and more fibromyalgia patients will likely approach medical cannabis to relieve pain and depression. There’s a lot of hope among people with medical conditions who want the best solution with cannabis. We hope this information may help someone in need.