Some of the most popular cannabis edibles out there are weed gummy bears. This is because of the simplicity of the recipe and how quickly they can be made.
If you’ve ever wondered how to make cannabis edibles, but don’t know where to start, you’ve come to the right place. This article is going to cover every aspect of making weed gummy bears.
This recipe is going to require around 40 – 55 minutes.
What You’re Going to Need
Before we get into the ingredients and directions, we’re going to need a few things:
- Cooking Pot
- Plain unflavored gelatine
- 1 pack of flavoured gelatin/jello mix (85g)
- 1/2 teaspoon sunflower/ soy lecithin (Optional)
- Gummy bear mould
- Cannabis-infused coconut oil CBD or THC (coconut oil, solid at room temperature)
We use organic coconut oil when we make our infusion. Here’s a link to the refined coconut oil that we use.
- Cooking Pot
- Gummy Bear Moulds
- 1/2 Cup Cannabis-Infused Coconut Oil (Refined coconut oil, solid at room temperature)
- 1/2 Cup Cold Water
- 85 Grams Packet of Flavoured Gelatine *One Jell-o Pack
- 2 Tablespoons Plain Unflavoured Gelatine (20 Grams)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Sunflower / Soy Lecithin (liquid lecithin) (Optional)
US Customary – Metric
Grind, manicure and decarboxylate cannabis in an oven safe dish in an oven preheated to 250° F for 25 minutes.
Combine the decarbed cannabis, crumbles rosin chips (if using), Sunflower (Or soy) lecithin and coconut oil in oven safe container and mix. Cover, put in a water bath and place in oven still set at 250° F for 2 hours. (Remove and stir halfway through.)
Remove the oil from oven and let cool for a couple minutes then strain the oil through a fine mesh strainer or filter. Press the oil out of the cannabis. Measure out ¼ cup for the recipe.
- Turn your stove on low heat. In a pot, add water, the cannabis-infused coconut oil, and the sunflower/soy lecithin.
- Continue stirring the mixture until it has a consistent texture and the coconut oil has completely melted. Now, add in the flavoured gelatin and the unflavoured gelatin while continuing to stir throughout this process.
- Whisk extensively on low heat for 10-15 minutes until the gelatine is completely dissolved. Make sure it does not come to a boil. But, you need to make sure that all the ingredients are thoroughly combined. (Don’t stop stirring this mixture for the entire 15 minutes)
- While leaving the pot on the element, start filling up the gummy bear moulds with a dropper (a dropper is a mini turkey baster that comes with most gummy bear moulds). Make sure to move quickly. If your liquid starts to separate, it’s because the mixture has started to cool. It’s critical that you move fast otherwise the oil may separate in the pot. You need to continue whisking throughout the pouring process otherwise the mixture may start to harden and stop binding. (The secret to making great infused gummy bears is pouring the mixture into the moulds as fast as possible.)
- Put the gummy bear moulds into the freezer for 20-25 minutes. (Pro tip: lift the mould 2 inches off the table and drop it. This will let the mixture fill any air pockets.)
- Bon Appetite!
Potency Guide to Weed Gummy Bears
When it comes to the potency of your homemade edibles, it’s hard to determine just how potent they really are. We have created a dosage calculator to help estimate the potency of the homemade weed gummy bears. To get an accurate measurement, you will need to know the potency of the cannabis-infused coconut oil first. You can find the dosage calculator for the coconut oil at the bottom of that recipe – click here to find that calculator.
Once you know the potency of your cannabis-infused coconut oil, you can input it into this dosage calculator below. Keep in mind, this is just a rough estimate. Also if you make an error in the calculation at the start, it will carry through until the end.
How long does it take before you begin to feel the effects of edibles?
Edibles typically take around 30 to 60 minutesTrusted Source to kick in. However, onset time depends on a lot of factors.
First, it depends on the product’s active ingredients. If the product contains a high dose or concentration of THC, it could take effect faster.
Keep in mind that CBD-only edibles are not psychoactive. They don’t cause the “high” typically associated with THC-infused edibles. As a result, it may be harder to identify when CBD products have taken effect.
For both types of products, onset time also depends on where in the body the edibles are being broken down and absorbed into the bloodstream.
Lozenges, gum, and lollipops kick in faster because they’re absorbed sublingually
Some edible products, such as lozenges, gum, and lollipops, are ingested but not actually swallowed. In these cases, absorption occurs through the mucus membranes of the mouth. This is called sublingual absorption, and the effects are more likely to appear faster.
Chewable edibles take longer to kick in because they’re absorbed through the digestive system
Chewable edibles, such as gummies, cookies, and brownies, may have longer onset times. This is because absorption first occurs in the digestive tract. From there, active ingredients enter the bloodstream and travel to the liver.
In the liver, active ingredients are metabolized before they are released back into the bloodstream and enter the brain, at which point the effects appear.
Other factors affecting onset time
Other factors that can affect how quickly you start to feel the effects of ingested edibles are related to your habits and physical makeup. They include your:
- tolerance to cannabis
Since edibles don’t kick in right away, it can be tempting to take more soon after your first dose. This can lead to taking too much.
You should always wait at least 24 hours before taking another dose.