Infusing alcohol with cannabis is super easy. In this article, we’ll show you two simple ways to make cannabis-infused vodka. And remember, you can use either recipe to infuse any other type of spirit too.
Looking to combine vodka (or any spirit) with your favourite strain of cannabis? Well, look no further. Below are two simple ways to make cannabis-infused vodka in just a few steps.
This first method is super simple and just involves steeping cannabis in vodka for a couple of hours while closely monitoring the temperature. Remember, alcohol begins to evaporate at around 80ºC, so make sure to keep your heat nice and low for this recipe.
- 250ml vodka (or any other spirit of choice)
- 1–3g of cannabis (both dried and fresh cannabis work great)
- Double boiler
- Set up your double boiler on the lowest possible heat setting while you organise the ingredients.
- Prepare your cannabis by grinding/chopping it to a medium consistency and wrapping it in cheesecloth to make a small package. Remember that you can use either dry or fresh cannabis for this recipe. If you want your vodka to produce strong psychoactive effects, make sure to use dry, decarboxylated cannabis. Using fresh cannabis won’t give the vodka the same psychoactive effects, but will give it a nice colour and flavour profile.
- Pour your vodka into the double boiler, then add your cannabis package and let it infuse for roughly 2–3 hours. Use a thermometer to ensure the temperature of the vodka doesn’t rise above 60ºC. For a more concentrated product, feel free to let the alcohol infuse for longer, just remember that you’ll risk cooking off some of the alcohol.
- Remove the cannabis from your vodka, then pour it into a glass container. Wait for the liquid to cool before sealing it, then store in a cool, dark place. If you want a clearer final product, strain the vodka through a coffee filter.
This second method makes a delicious honey-flavoured vodka using cannabis-infused honey. To make the honey, you’ll need to first extract the cannabinoids and terpenes from the cannabis using coconut oil, then blend the oil together with the honey. Remember to use low temperatures during this extraction to avoid burning off any cannabinoids/terpenes.
- 2g dried, decarboxylated cannabis buds
- 150g honey
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 500ml vodka
- 1 mason jar
- Saucepan with simmering water (water bath)
- Start by making your cannabis honey. To do so, grind your cannabis to a medium consistency, and place it into a mason jar together with the coconut oil. Make sure you’re using decarboxylated cannabis to ensure your honey has psychoactive effects.
- Seal the mason jar and place it in the water bath. Let it sit on low heat for roughly two hours to extract the cannabis into the oil.
- Once the extraction has finished, strain the oil through cheesecloth to remove the pieces of cannabis flower. Remember to lightly squeeze out any remaining liquid from the cloth.
- Add the infused oil to your honey and mix together.
- Add the vodka, and mix until everything is fully combined.
- Pour the vodka into a bottle, seal, and enjoy whenever you need a sweet pick-me-up!
A NOTE ON MIXING CANNABIS WITH ALCOHOL
Mixing alcohol and cannabis is really common, but it’s important to note that it can have negative effects. Combining the two drugs can enhance both the feelings of being drunk and being high, and can lead to nausea, dizziness, impaired motor skills, and vomiting.
One study shows that drinking alcohol after consuming cannabis can increase THC concentration in the blood. This suggests that alcohol can enhance the psychoactive properties of cannabis. This could be due to the fact that alcohol causes vasodilation and increases blood flow, possibly allowing more THC to cross from the alveoli in the lungs.
Some studies also suggest that cannabis can actually help protect against some of the toxic effects of alcohol, including neurotoxicity, as well as reducing oxidative stress in the liver after excessive drinking.
If you choose to mix cannabis with alcohol, that’s perfectly fine. After all, most people do. Just remember to take it easy, and pay extra attention to your body’s reaction to the combination of drugs.
Have you considered the idea of making cannabis-infused vodka? Now that a number of states in the US have decided to legalize cannabis use, infusing cannabis with alcohol is slowly becoming a trend. If you need inspiration for cannabis-infused vodka, here are two easy recipes that you can follow.
Easy Cannabis Vodka Recipe
This method is super easy. It’s ideal for those who don’t have the time to go through the complicated process of preparing cannabis-infused vodka. It simply requires steeping the cannabis in vodka for a certain time while monitoring the temperature closely. Alcohol will normally start to evaporate at 80ºC, so make sure that you keep the heat nice and low.
- 250 ml vodka
- 1 to 3 grams of cannabis (dried or fresh)
- Set the double boiler to the lowest heat setting possible.
- Chop or grind the cannabis and wrap into cheesecloth to come up with a small package.
- Pour the vodka into the double boiler and add the cannabis wrapped in cheesecloth.
- Let the cannabis infuse for two to three hours. You can use a thermometer to check that the temperature of the vodka doesn’t go more than 60ºC.
- Take the cannabis from the boiler and pour the vodka into a glass container. Let the liquid cool before sealing.
- Store the sealed vodka into a dark place.
Honey-Flavored Vodka Recipe
This second method makes use of cannabis-infused honey. To prepare the honey, you must first extract the terpenes and cannabinoids from the cannabis with the use of coconut oil. Then blend the oil and honey together. Make sure to set the temperature low during the extraction so as to prevent the cannabinoids or terpenes from being burned.
- 2 grams dried and decarboxylated cannabis buds
- 150-gram honey
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 500 ml vodka
- Start by preparing your cannabis honey. For this, grind your cannabis and place it into a mason jar along with the coconut oil.
- Seal the jar and place in the water bath. Leave it to sit under low heat for about two hours in order to extract the cannabis into the oil.
- When the extraction is over, strain the oil into the cheesecloth in order to remove some pieces of cannabis flowers. Squeeze out any excess liquid from the cloth.
- Add the cannabis-infused oil into the honey and mix together.
- Pour the vodka and mix well. Place into a bottle and store in a dark place.
Tips to Keep in Mind
These days, mixing cannabis and alcohol has become a trend, especially during parties and social gatherings. But it’s important to note that this can have negative effects. While the strains of cannabis vary in terms of the amount of CBD and THC, most contain at least a certain amount of concentration of each component. As you know, cannabis could get you high while alcohol can make you drunk. Mixing both may lead to negative consequences. Therefore, exercise caution when consuming these cocktail drinks.