In Amsterdam, you can find coffee shops that serve coffee with marijuana weed cakes called “space cakes.” A space cake is a type of dessert that is laced with marijuana to get you high.
These cakes are tasty to enjoy, and you may now be wondering how to make a weed cake. The good news is: the process of marrying marijuana with cake is simple. We’ll explain the process below.
The Decarboxylation Process
The first step of how to make a weed cake is preparing the weed. You’ll need to “decarb.” Decarboxylating is the process of heating marijuana so that it is optimal for use with most edibles.
Tetrahydrocannabinolic acid (THCA) is a compound of cannabis which, when heated, produces the THC responsible for getting you high. If you eat marijuana in its raw state, you would not feel anything.
This is because THCA is non-psychoactive, and decarboxylation has not taken place. However, when you smoke weed, the heat ignites the marijuana and decarboxylates it, activating the THC, resulting in the high effect.
When you learn how to make a weed cake (or any other edible), you must first understand that for THC to infuse in food, decarboxylation must occur. Otherwise, the cannabis in your food will have no effect.
Decarbed weed is used in many baking recipes. It can be used to make wedding cakes, cupcakes, or any other desserts, such as cookies or ice cream.
Decarboxylation makes weed very potent. Although you can eat marijuana, eating a decarbed ¼ ounce of marijuana is not recommended. A small amount does a lot.
In baking, weed is often added using cannabutter or cooking oil infused with THC oil. A cannabis cake often uses cannabutter. You can use decarbed weed for this recipe, but you can also use cannabutter.
If you don’t already have some cannabutter, you can make it. If you are just starting to think about how to make a weed cake, now is a great time to start researching cannabutter recipes as well. Cannabutter is a useful kitchen staple for a variety of edibles.
To decarboxylate your weed for baking, follow this process:
- Preheat your oven to 115 degrees F.
- Grind your marijuana until it is smooth.
- Put parchment or baking paper on a baking tray.
- Pour the ground weed and spread it evenly on the tray.
- Place the baking tray in the oven and let it bake for 45 minutes while stirring it every 15 minutes.
Take care not to cook your buds at high temperatures – it can destroy the cannabinoids and terpenes.
How to Make a Weed Cake
- Mixing bowl
- Mixing spoon or spatula
- Baking pan
- Parchment paper or non-stick spray
- Casserole dish or baking tray
- Hand or electric mixer
- 1¾ cups of flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup of granulated white sugar
- ¾ cup of brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ cup of cannabutter or 8 grams of cannabis buds
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ½ cup of dried fruits
- 1 cup of chocolate chips
- ½ can of chocolate frosting
1. Space cake is straightforward to make. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees F. That way, by the time you are through mixing your ingredients, you can start baking.
Melt your cannabutter in the oven, but if you have decarbed weed, melt the regular butter for 10-20 seconds in the microwave.
If you are making the chocolate cake, put the chocolate chips in the casserole dish to soften them. Keep the temperatures low to avoid being burned.
2. As the chocolate melts, mix your ingredients in a bowl. First, take the eggs and sugar and mix until mixture is fluffy, then add milk and mix.
Add a ½ teaspoon of salt and finally add the flour in bits for easy mixing. Stir the mixture until your dough becomes smooth. If you are in a hurry, you can use an electric mixer.
3. Add the melted butter and decarbed weed and dried fruits. Alternatively, you can add cannabutter. Next, add the melted chocolate and mix the ingredients either with a spatula or electric mixer.
4. A second option is to melt regular butter in a pan and mix it with the ground weed, then add it to your batter.
5. With the cake batter now ready, spray the baking tin or put parchment paper on it and pour the mixture into the pan. Spread it evenly and place in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
6. When the time is up, insert a knife to ensure the cake is fully baked on the inside. If it comes out clean, you can be sure your cake is ready, if not then add a few more minutes to the baking time. Keep watch to make sure you do not burn the top part of the cake, which is a common mistake many people make, especially when they are beginners.
7. Let your cake cool for about 20 minutes on a wire rack in the baking tin. Then, allow it to cool for another 20 minutes. If it is adequately cooled, you can decorate it either with frosting or fondant.
8. If you want your cake layered with cream, cut it into two layers, add cream in the middle and join the two parts before layering the outer part with frosting. If you want to decorate your cake either for a birthday or just for fun, prepare your cream or fondant to cover the cake.
9. If you are not a fan of making things from scratch, you can buy a box of cake mix and use cannabutter instead of the normal butter. Alternatively, you can add your decarbed marijuana to the cake mix.
- 6 spoons of pistachios pudding powder
- ¾ cup of unsalted butter
- 1 cup of half and half cream
- 5 cups of powdered sugar
- Whip up the butter with a spatula or electric mixer until it is fluffy.
- Add the pudding powder and mix it until it is well blended.
- Add the vanilla extract and powdered sugar, mix them, then let it sit for about one hour before using it to frost your weed cake.
- For the fondant, mold it gently until it is about ½ inch thick and place it on your cake, molding it to the shape of your cake. If you want people to know it is a weed cake, you can create little marijuana leaves on the fondant with a knife.