Cannabis popcorn is the perfect way to add a little bit of zest to your movie night. It’s one of the quickest cannabis foods to make. Simply cook the popcorn kernels in peanut oil, sprinkle a bit of salt, and add some cannabutter to the mix. Cover the pot lid and wait for the kernels to pop. When the pops are about two seconds apart, it’s ready to remove off the stove and serve.
The perfect snack for your movie night in!
Few things in this world beat a cozy night-in, curled up in front of the TV watching a fantastic film or television show. It gets even better when surrounded by loved ones and dear friends.
A further step up from this already fabulous scenario is to do the above while indulging in homemade 420 popcorn.
Yes, you can create popcorn infused with marijuana! The snack is already so popular that it is widely available online. The downside? It typically costs $8-10. Cynics among you will rightly assert that it is about the same price as the non-THC popcorn you buy in the cinema!
Even so, there is NO need to shell out a small fortune when you already have the herb to hand. Making homemade 420 popcorn is quicker and easier than you think. A lovely combination of crunch, salt, and ganja, it is pretty hard to go wrong with cannabis popcorn.
Our straightforward recipe is one of the easiest ways to prepare 420 popcorn, but you’ll need to make sure that you have a batch of cannabis butter (cannabutter) to hand. It is the core ingredient used to give the popcorn its reefer punch.
Cannabis butter typically requires about 4 hours to prepare. Make sure you have enough time to create it; unless you already have some ready!
How to Make Cannabis Butter in 5 Easy Steps
(If you already have some available, you can skip this section.)
If you’d prefer to see all of this information in an extremely detailed article that also describes some alternatives, learn how to make cannabutter here.
Use approximately one cup of butter (two U.S. standard sticks) for every half-ounce of marijuana.
Here is what you need to get the process rolling:
- Begin by spreading your ground nugs, shake, or trim evenly onto a baking sheet with parchment paper. Preheat your oven to 240 Degrees Fahrenheit/115 Degrees Celsius and bake for about 40-50 minutes. This process is known as decarbing the weed. You do it to activate the THC so you can experience the intoxicating high caused by the THC. It also activates CBD if you prefer healing without the high.
- Heat 1-2 quarts of water in a pan. Next, throw in your sticks of butter and let them melt.
- Add the buds and stir the mixture. Cook on your lowest heat setting for 2.5-3.5 hours.
- Take the mixture off the stove and let it cool slightly. Place cheesecloth over a bowl big enough to hold your batch of butter. Pour the mixture over the cheesecloth and into the bowl carefully. Wrap the cloth and give it a squeeze to extract any remaining oil.
- Let the mixture cool for about 45 minutes and place it in the fridge. Eventually, the top layer rises away from the water. This is the part you are going to peel off once it’s completely separated. Be sure all extra water is scraped off. Store your fresh reefer extract in a jar or air-tight container for easy access next time you intend to cook with cannabutter.
Here’s How to Make Cannabis Popcorn
Now that your cannabutter is ready, it is popcorn making time! The wonderful news is, making cannabis popcorn is a straightforward process once you have the butter.
Ingredients for Cannabis Popcorn:
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-2 tablespoon cannabutter
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Making 420 Popcorn: Step 1
Place the peanut oil in a 2 to 3-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 3-4 individual popcorn kernels. Once they have popped, your oil is at the right temperature to add in the remainder. Sprinkle a light layer of salt on the kernels. Next, add the butter and half the cannabutter to the pot and cover with a lid.
Making 420 Popcorn: Step 2
Once the kernels start to pop, shake the pan back and forth. This will slow down the popping and prevent you from burning parts of the popcorn. Once the pops are about two seconds apart, remove the popcorn from the heat and pour it into a serving bowl.
Making 420 Popcorn: Step 3
Taste your popcorn to make sure it has the crunch and flavor you desire. Once in the bowl, coat the snack with the remaining portion of your cannabutter. Mix it thoroughly so that the oil coats all of the pieces as evenly as possible.
If you want a bigger kick and intend to get extremely baked, pour even more of the melted cannabutter over your popcorn. The more you add, the higher you’ll get! Coat with extra salt if desired, as well.
How About Weed-Infused Toppings?
There are many ways to spice up the flavor of your popcorn, aside from oil and salt. For example, if you’re into sweet and savory tastes, add in an equal portion of brown sugar and sea salt. This combination is delicious, and the brown sugar melts from the heat of the popcorn producing an oozy sweet and salty combination that mimics kettle corn.
If you prefer something cheesy or buttery, we have three excellent options!
- Peppercorn Pecorino: Mixing Italian cheese with salty food always works out well in our experience. When your 420 popcorn is hot, grate pecorino cheese on top, drizzle with a tablespoon of marijuana olive oil and add black pepper.
- Butter Thyme: Salt and unsalted butter is another winning combination. Melt a tablespoon of cannabutter with the same amount of unsalted butter, add some thyme, and coat your popcorn.
- Vegan Nacho: If you are a vegan, it is likely that you either use or have heard of nutritional yeast. Coat your cannabis popcorn with black pepper, and add half a tablespoon of virgin coconut oil, up to three tablespoons of the yeast, and a tablespoon of cannabis coconut oil. The result is a gooey treat that is like nacho cheese but vegan-friendly!
Our Final Thoughts on Making Homemade 420 Popcorn
Next time you want to ramp up your cozy night-in either alone, with a loved one, or friends, this is the perfect way to add a ganja twist to your evening. You can always try it during the day if you fancy an adventure!
Cannabis popcorn is a simple way to receive a sizeable dose of THC and other helpful cannabis cannabinoids. It is a light and tasty snack that’ll hold you over until dinner or complement any post-dinner cravings.