How can I make cannabis wax at home?
Making cannabis wax at home can be very dangerous, so it’s recommended that you purchase it already made.However if you still want to proceed with the DIY approach, following are the steps you’d take:
- Take your marijuana buds and pack them into a tube or pipe.
- Place your butane (or other solvent) over the plant material. The fluid will bond with the psychoactive THC in the buds and extract the compound from the plant.
- Allow the butane to evaporate until there’s nothing left except an oily and extremely potent substance. That’s your cannabis wax.
Depending on specific conditions (i.e. temperature and humidity) of the extraction process, you can create a variety of cannabis wax textures such as shatter, budder and crumble.
How do you smoke cannabis wax?
Although there are several ways to smoke cannabis wax, you won’t be able to use the extract in a joint or vaporizer if the substance is too sticky and hard to handle. With that in mind, following are the three most common ways to use it:
- Dabbing. Dabbing is the most popular way to consume wax. Dabbing involves the use of a piece of equipment called a dab rig, which is a specific type of pipe or bong. You’ll also need a dab “nail” that fits your pipe or bong’s gauge. Some dab nails are made of ceramic and quartz, but titanium is most common. In addition, you’ll need a dome, which is the glass hood placed around the nail to trap the vapor before it’s inhaled. Finally, you’ll need a mini-blow torch, the kind that’s used for crème brulee, and a dabber, which is the glass, metal or ceramic tool used to apply a dab.Assuming you’re new to dabbing, it’s recommended that you start out with a small dose of wax no larger than a crumb. Although it may not look like much, it’s still going to pack a punch that’s much stronger than you’re used to.The process of dabbing begins by turning on your torch and aiming the flame directly at the nail. Note: nails and glass domes become extremely hot during the process. So, take caution when handling them – and always wait for all pieces to cool down before touching.Once the nail is hot, turn off your torch and place the glass dome over the nail. After you let it cool for about 45 seconds, take your dabber, apply the dab directly on the nail inside the dome, and inhale slowly. Then exhale and enjoy!
- Vaping. Vaping is another popular way to use marijuana wax. For optimum effect, choose a vaporizer with a ceramic or quartz crystal heating chamber, and preferably one that has titanium coils to prevent accidental combustion. As with vaping weed, vaping wax allows you to enjoy the experience without the smoke.
- Sprinkling the wax on a joint. The third most common way to smoke wax is to sprinkle it over flower when you’re rolling a joint or packing a bowl. This is most easily achieved when using crumble wax. Using something like buddy or resin will create a nasty and sticky mess – and you’ll end up getting more on your fingers than inside the joint!
What are the benefits of cannabis wax?
The most obvious benefit of cannabis wax is its enhanced potency. When made correctly, wax will not have any butane residue and is an incredibly potent substance. It can also be used for relieving a wide array of health issues, including chronic pain, anxiety and depression.
With that said, wax is so potent that it can cause negative side effects include hallucinations, unconsciousness and extreme paranoia. Also, as previously mentioned, it can be very dangerous to make wax at home. Butane vapors can quickly fill a room – and all it takes is a single spark to ignite. On top of that, if you’re working in a poorly ventilated area, it’s possible to die from inhaling too much butane.
What is Marijuana Wax?
Marijuana wax is a concentrated preparation of cannabis essential oil. While some cannabis extracts feature honey or glass-like consistency, wax features a texture almost akin to a flakey clay. Opaque and easy to manipulate, a high-quality wax is soft and features an amber coloration.
Wax is also among the most potent cannabis extracts and features superior flavor when compared to many other essential oil preparations, including glass-like shatter. Though, shatter may feature a greater cannabinoid potency overall.
Wax is potent, with THC levels ranging from 60 to 80 percent THC. Compared to the amount of THC in a single joint, this percentage is colossal. As you might expect, the high from cannabis wax is also much stronger.
Wax is smoked using a specialized water pipe called a dab rig or an oil rig. To smoke cannabis wax, a dollop of wax is loaded into a metal wand-like tool, which is aptly referred to as a “dab tool” or “dab wand”.
This small glob of wax is placed onto a heated hot plate, which is referred to as a nail. Of course, this nail is quite different from one that you would use when building a house. Instead, a dab nail is often made out of heat-safe titanium, quartz, or ceramic and it is used in place of a traditional flower bowl when smoking extracts.
Concentrated extracts like wax require substantially higher temperatures to combust than plain ol’ flower. So, this nail is typically heated with a torch similar to what you’d use in the kitchen when making a creme brulee. Once the nail is hot, the wax is “dabbed” onto its surface while the consumer simultaneously inhales through the water pipe.
If vaporizing wax, the cannabis concentrate should not be heated to higher than 446℉ (230℃). 446℉ is the point of combustion for cannabis products (learn here how to clean a pipe, believe us, you’ll need it).
This Post Has One Comment
I use cannabis wax in my bong, and it has always worked amazingly well and is my preferred way of enjoying the plant! Thanks for this article, super helpful.