Some of the most popular cannabis edibles out there are weed gummy bears. This is because of the simplicity of the recipe and how quickly they can be made.
If you’ve ever wondered how to make cannabis edibles, but don’t know where to start, you’ve come to the right place. This article is going to cover every aspect of making weed gummy bears.
This recipe is going to require around 40 – 55 minutes.
What You’re Going to Need
Before we get into the ingredients and directions, we’re going to need a few things:
- Cooking Pot
- Plain unflavored gelatine
- 1 pack of flavoured gelatin/jello mix (85g)
- 1/2 teaspoon sunflower/ soy lecithin (Optional)
- Gummy bear mould
- Cannabis-infused coconut oil CBD or THC (coconut oil, solid at room temperature)
We use organic coconut oil when we make our infusion. Here’s a link to the refined coconut oil that we use.
Weed Gummy Bears
- Cooking Pot
- Gummy Bear Moulds
- 1/2 Cup Cannabis-Infused Coconut Oil (Refined coconut oil, solid at room temperature)
- 1/2 Cup Cold Water
- 85 Grams Packet of Flavoured Gelatine *One Jell-o Pack
- 2 Tablespoons Plain Unflavoured Gelatine (20 Grams)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Sunflower / Soy Lecithin (liquid lecithin) (Optional)
US Customary – Metric
- Turn your stove on low heat. In a pot, add water, the cannabis-infused coconut oil, and the sunflower/soy lecithin.
- Continue stirring the mixture until it has a consistent texture and the coconut oil has completely melted. Now, add in the flavoured gelatin and the unflavoured gelatin while continuing to stir throughout this process.
- Whisk extensively on low heat for 10-15 minutes until the gelatine is completely dissolved. Make sure it does not come to a boil. But, you need to make sure that all the ingredients are thoroughly combined. (Don’t stop stirring this mixture for the entire 15 minutes)
- While leaving the pot on the element, start filling up the gummy bear moulds with a dropper (a dropper is a mini turkey baster that comes with most gummy bear moulds). Make sure to move quickly. If your liquid starts to separate, it’s because the mixture has started to cool. It’s critical that you move fast otherwise the oil may separate in the pot. You need to continue whisking throughout the pouring process otherwise the mixture may start to harden and stop binding. (The secret to making great infused gummy bears is pouring the mixture into the moulds as fast as possible.)
- Put the gummy bear moulds into the freezer for 20-25 minutes. (Pro tip: lift the mould 2 inches off the table and drop it. This will let the mixture fill any air pockets.)
- Optional: add a 3/4 tsp of citric acid into the mixture, use lemonade instead of water, and once the gummies come out of the freezer coat them in sugar. If you’re using potent cannabis oil, this should help with the taste. Store in the refrigerator for best results.
Sweet edible gummy
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
• 1/4 cup weed-infused coconut oil
• 1/2 cup water
• 1 oz unflavored gelatin
• 6-oz package Jell-O (pick your favorite flavor!)
• A silicone mold
To make these treats into those fun shapes that make your mouth water just by looking at them, it’ll take a silicone mold or molds. Gummy bear molds can be found easily online for fairly cheap from most major retailers. Or, you can keep an eye on the clearance racks around town for a good deal, like this hand symbol-shaped tray, which was a steal for less than $4 at Urban Outfitters this summer.
- Bring the oil and water to a low boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring constantly.
- Add plain gelatin one or two packets at a time, stirring until it’s mostly incorporated.
- Add the Jell-O mix and stir for about five minutes until fully combined and the mix starts to come to a rolling boil.
- From here, move quickly as the mix starts to set up fairly fast. Spray your silicone mold(s) with cooking spray and use a glass with a pour spout or a dropper to put the mix into each well.
- Cool in the fridge for at least an hour, then pop the candies out of the mold and store them in an airtight container in the fridge before eating.
With any edible, less is more until you know its power, and unlike those gas station gummy bears, ya can’t eat a whole bag of these. It’s tempting, but do yourself a favor and don’t. Seriously.
And a cautionary tale from a friend: If you eat a gummy before bed, you might wake up super high the next morning and have to call in sick, so be mindful of your timing as well.
Cannabis Gummies recipe
- ⅛ oz Cannabis flowers (10 – 12 grams ABV/ Rosin Chips)
- ½ tsp Sunflower/ Soy Lecithin
- ¼ cup Coconut Oil
- ½ cup Water
- 1 oz Unflavored Gelatin
- 1 pack 6 oz Jello (any flavor)
- Grind, manicure and decarboxylate cannabis in an oven safe dish in an oven preheated to 250° F for 25 minutes.
- Combine the decarbed cannabis, crumbles rosin chips (if using), Sunflower (Or soy) lecithin and coconut oil in oven safe container and mix. Cover, put in a water bath and place in oven still set at 250° F for 2 hours. (Remove and stir halfway through.)
- Remove the oil from oven and let cool for a couple minutes then strain the oil through a fine mesh strainer or filter. Press the oil out of the cannabis. Measure out ¼ cup for the recipe.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat combine the water and the infused oil and whisk together as you bring it to a boil.
- Whisk in each container of the unflavored gelatin one at a time while continuing to whisk.
- Whisk in the flavored gelatin and keep stirring for about 5 minutes and bring to a rolling boil.
- Reduce heat to low, spray molds with cooking spray. Fill each mold to the top with a dropper or spoon. Keep stirring your mix periodically.
- Place molds in freezer for 20 minutes or fridge for an hour to firm up.
- Unmold the candies to enjoy right away or store in airtight containers for 2 – 3 days at room temperature. Freeze for extended storage.