Baking with Cannabis
Baking with cannabis is a great way to get all the medicinal benefits without having to inhale. It also allows you to experiment with different recipes and create tasty edibles tailored just for you. In order to obtain marijuana ingredients, you will need a medical marijuana card to access your local dispensaries. The team of doctors at Arkansas Marijuana Card are here to help. Schedule your online appointment today!
Cannabis-infused butter (cannabutter) is one of the simplest and most common ways to make infused cannabis edibles. However, making infused butter can be a little bit tricky. In order to activate its psychoactive potential, the flower must be heated slowly at a low temperature. This recipe will first guide you through this process–called decarboxylation–before walking you through a step-by-step guide to infusing butter.
Even if you’re not particularly adept in the kitchen, making your own cannabis edibles can be simple! We have provided some easy to follow recipes for edibles that each have their own unique charm.
Simple Cannabis Recipes You Can Make at Home
Cannabutter is a staple that can be used in many cannabis infused edible recipes. The key to making cannabutter is to first decarboxylate the cannabis flower so that THCA can be converted into THC, which will produce the euphoric effects.
- 1 cup of butter
- 1 cup (7-10 grams) of ground cannabis, decarboxylated
- Decarb the cannabis: Preheat your oven to 245ºF. Grab a non-stick, oven-safe tray and place parchment paper over it. Place your cannabis buds onto the tray and put the tray into the oven. Set a timer for 30-40 minutes. If your cannabis is older and/or drier, it may require less time. Every 10 minutes, lightly shake the tray to mix the buds and equally expose the surface area of the tray.
- Grind the cannabis: Grind the decarbed cannabis with a hand grinder. If you do not have a grinder, you can break up the bud with your hands.
- Melt the butter: Add 1 cup of better and 1 cup of water into a saucepan. Let the contents simmer on low heat to let the butter melt.
- Add cannabis to the butter: Add your ground cannabis to the pot as your butter begins to melt.
- Simmer the butter: Keep the heat on low (ideally above 160ºF but never letting it exceed 200ºF) and let the butter simmer for 2 to 3 hours. Stir occasionally. The butter mixture should never come to a full boil.
- Strain the butter. Grab a jar and set a funnel on top of the opening and line it with cheesecloth. When the cannabutter has cooled, pour it over the cheesecloth funnel into the jar so it can strain.
- Refrigerate the butter. Excess water may form at the bottom of the jar. You can remove the solid butter with a knife and drain out the water. If this occurs, the butter will need to be refrigerated for about an hour before draining the water.
Canna Shortbread Cookies
Canna Shortbreads are a simple 3 ingredient recipe that will provide a sweet treat, along with medicinal benefits.
- ¼ cup of sugar
- ½ cup cannabutter
- 1 ½ cups flour
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Beat the cannabutter and sugar together until smooth and mixed well
- Add the flour and mix well until a smooth paste forms
- From here, you can roll out the dough on a floured surface and cut into shapes. Or, you can pack the mix into a baking pan and slice into slabs after baking
- Chill for 20 minutes in the fridge
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until only just starting to brown
When it comes to edibles, brownies are one of the most classic baked goods that can satisfy a sweet tooth. The chocolate flavor also helps to cover up the herbal flavor of cannabis, even for the pickier eaters.
- ½ cup cannabutter (melted)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup of cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Grease and flour, or line with parchment, an 8” pan
- In a large bowl, mix the cannabutter, sugar, eggs and vanilla extract
- Beat in dry ingredients and mix until just combined
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan
- Bake for 25-30 minutes
- Let the brownies cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving
Cooking and Baking foods, weed brownies, cannabis cookies, making candy with marijuana, and weed drinks with thc or CBD in them require the use of Edible Marijuana Recipes which are necessary to have so you know how much of each ingredient is required in order to get high or stoned from eating them. Knowing how to make weed butter or cannabutter is one of the first steps you need to know. Marijuana Butter aka cannabutter is butter that has been melted and mixed with extracted thc glands fromcannabis plant trimmings or from marijuana buds. Make sure to understand the different effects of inhaled and ingested cannabis.
Marijuana is oil-based, so knowing this is very important when it comes to cooking with cannabis. THC is the pyschoactive property in Marijuana and is contained in the capitate glands that cover its leaves, but the flowers / marijuana buds contain the most THC. When cooking or baking with marijuana, you should always use an oil-based product, such as butter or vegetable oil, as these do a great job at dissolving the capitate glands and releasing the THC. There are a few basic ways of using the cannabis plant for cooking: one is to make butter aka cannabutter and the other is to make flour. Another way is to make Marijuana Alcohol, which you can learn about in our marijuana beverages section. Either way you choose to make your marijuana induced foods requires the use of either the cannabis plant leaves and clippings or using the finished marijuana buds, which is my preference as it is by far the most potent way of making Weed Butter (Cannabutter). You can cook with cannaoil in any recipe that calls for oil.