A space cake is as awesome as it sounds. Imagine your favourite cake, but infused with the unbridled and buzzing power of cannabis! Pretty much ever coffeeshop in Amsterdam will offer space cakes in one form or another, and they have become increasingly popular with those who want to reach that high, but in a discreet and tasty manner.
With this in mind, we have put together an out-of-this-world space cake recipe so that you can make your very own.
- 8 grams of cannabis bud, or the equivalent strength in either cuttings or hash.
- 1 ¾ cups of flour
- 1 cup of non-salted butter
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- ¾ cup of milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 ¾ teaspoons of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- Any other ingredients you want to improve the cake with, such as cocoa powder, vanilla extract, dried fruit, icing/frosting, buttercream, chocolate chips, or anything else – your imagination is your only limit.
- A grinder
- A mixing bowl
- Spatula or mixing spoon
- A cake oven tin
- Non-stick spray or lining paper
- An oven
- A microwave
- A small bowl
- A skewer
- Optional: A wire rack
- Preheat your oven to somewhere between 104°C and 113°C. Place your weed (grinded) in an oven safe container. Heat it in the oven for 30–40 minutes. This will decarboxylate your weed, meaning that all cannabinoids become bioavailable.
- Pre-heat your oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- Put your butter in a bowl and place it in the microwave for 20 seconds. You want it to melt into a gloopy, pasty consistency.
- Mix your freshly ground up cannabis into the butter.
- Add all of the sugar, flour, milk, cannabis butter, eggs, plus anything else you want to your mixing bowl. Mix everything together until you get a batter with a nice even consistency. This may take a few minutes, but it will ensure your cannabis is spread evenly as possible throughout the cake mix. Note: if the mix is a little bit too dry, add a splash of extra milk; if it is too wet, add some extra flour.
- Grease your cake tin with non-stick spray, or line it with non-stick baking paper.
- Carefully pour your cake batter into the tin, spreading it around so that it is evenly distributed.
- Place your tin in the oven and leave for 25 minutes to bake.
- After 25 minutes, stab the centre of the cake with a skewer. If it comes out clean, it is ready, if batter sticks to it, leave the cake in the oven for another 5 minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool for about 20 minutes in the tin; then place it upside down on the wire rack and remove the tin, allowing it to cool for a further 30 minutes.
Recipe for marijuana sponge cake step by step
1-As this recipe is very easy and quick to make, the first step is to start the oven and pre-heat it to 180 degrees, so when we finish our mixture, will be ready to start baking.
2-Secondly, we will melt the butter in the microwave oven (either regular or cannabis butter) for about 10-20 seconds, depending on the power of your device. If you’ve decided to make chocolate cake, like me, cut the ounces with your hand and pour them into a casserole, when it’s already a little hot. Remember to keep the temperature low so it doesn’t burn. If you want, you can also add some milk.
3-As the chocolate melts, you can move on to the third step of mixing the remaining ingredients: yogurt, eggs, flour, sugar and pinch of salt and stir it until you get a smooth dough, with no lumps. TIP: If you want to go even faster, you can pass it all through the blender.
4-Next we will pour the butter, the marijuana buds that we will have crushed with the grinder, and the chocolate. We do the same mixing operation, either with a spatula or a blender (seriously, I think the second one is the best, even if the kitchen gourmets want to kill me).
5-Another option, especially if we use normal butter, is to melt it in a saucepan and when half melted, mix it with the crushed marijuana buds.
6-And, all right!…we’ve got our dough ready to use! Now just put the baking paper in the mould we have chosen to bake our biscuit, or spread butter o flour over the edges and bake it in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
7-When this time elapses, to know if It’s ready, it will suffice to insert the tip of a spatula, if it comes out clean you can afirm that it’s ready, otherwise, we will have to wait a little, but watching that we do not overcook or burn the top of the cake, which happens to many people. A normal mistake for beginners that sometimes happen to any of us!
Tips before eating a marijuana cake
If you are a loyal fan of this blog, you know it for sure: smoking marijuana is not the same as eating it. In the first case you get stoned faster, but its effects last less. On the other hand, if you consume marijuana edibles (intake), the effects take a long time to be noticed (they can take from 30 minutes to 2 hours, it depends on the entire food intake at a time), but the duration of the high is prolonged during more time.
So if you think it does not give you a good high, wait a little longer, because you might get scared later if you are over dosing yourself, eating more marijuana sponge cake than you realize.Start by half or one serving, then, let it act for a while. Also, if you have to work later, to drive your car or, in short, to do something that means keeping all your senses alert, be very careful of when and how much marijuana cake you’ve eaten, since THC dosage, is now running through your veins.
On the other hand, eating marijuana sponge cake may be funny, and even someone could feel like drinking wine or other types of alcohol, but it is not recommended, so I advise to change it for a juice, water, coffee, tea, milk… which, in addition, it suits much more than a glass of wine.